The New Year is coming…Jan 2019, and many are thinking of what and who they were in 2018, and who and what they want to be in 2019. It’s that time again for … New Year’s Resolutions!
New Year’s Resolutions
With a fresh zeal many people decide that the coming new year is when they want to make changes they couldn’t the previous year. Like the romance of a new relationship, they are excited about the possibilities, they are sure and certain about everything, their zeal, fire, and passion is fresh, and like a new partner, the new year promises the spectacular. Like the partner the previous year promised, and the previous year before that, and the one before that….and so on.
Because at some point a New Year’s resolution fades as life and normalcy steps in. According to research conducted by University of Scranton, as written in Forbes, only 8% of people achieve their New Year’s goals, yet around 40% make them. However, the fact is many people, even those reading right now, will make New Year’s resolutions, so we are going to share how you can fall into the 8%. We will conclude by sharing some of the new things ALVN has in the works for 2019.
So how do you achieve your resolutions?
The following suggestions is from research as well as personal experience:
Keep the resolutions simple: It’s easy to think big and bold and stack the plate but there is something about going quick and going fast that has been proven with time. There is a major burn out effect. Because many times with the resolutions being too big, there is a mental overload before the details can be applied. Also keeping it simple makes it measurable. Let’s look at examples on how to keep something simple.
“I’ll have a better relationship with X or Y this year,” is bigger that saying, “I’ll remember to say thank you to X and Y, when they do something nice,” or “I’ll call X or Y at least once a week.”
“I’ll lose 30 pounds,” is bigger than saying, “I’ll only eat my favorite potato chips once a week,” or “I’ll walk my treadmill for 20 mins three times a week.”
Write it down: There is something very powerful about writing down your goals. There was a remarkable study done by Harvard University MBA program in which students were asked if they wrote down their goals. 3% had written them down, 13% had goals but it was in the mind, while 84% had no goals at all. After 10 years these students were interviewed again.
The 13 percent of the class who had goals, but did not write them down, earned twice the amount of the 84 percent who had no goals.
The 3 percent who had written goals were earning, on average, 10 times as much as the other 97 percent of the class combined.
Writing them down empowers you to do them. Some use a journal, others create a vision board.
Tell others about it: This requires wisdom but telling others keeps you accountable. Others now know so you either do it or lose face and feel awful…whatever works, right?:). But be careful to share it with people that are supportive and want what’s best for you, not someone who is insecure in their own self, wants company in misery, or is skeptical. Another thing that can help is to find a support group pursuing the same goals. For example, to lose weight join a running club, to act on an entrepreneurial vision, join an incubator or entrepreneurial ecosystem in your local area.
That’s it…three things to help you out!
So what’s up for ALVN in 2019?
We don’t have any New Year’s resolutions but we definitely have business objectives.
We are going to have a brand new website soon with three main features: Short films that tell your story, publications from writers of both fiction and non fiction that are meant to inspire and build, and your own personal video stories – stories from every day women sharing their experiences direct from their smart phones to you. You could share yours too. It’s really a gift to others.
So: we aim for 50 movies on here, 50 publications and 100 personal video stories for the year. It’s out there now.
WE CAN DO IT…AND SO CAN YOU!!
Have a happy new year everyone!!